About this event
Date: 20 May
Venue: The Studio, 7 Cannon Street, Birmingham,B2 5EP
Arts Connect Film Network and Flatpack present a Screen Skills Symposium, an event designed to bring together organisations and individuals from across the West Midlands and UK to explore skill shortages and how the industry can collaborate to support new, emerging and established talent and work towards reducing the skills shortage.
The UK continues to face significant skills gaps and recruitment issues across the film and TV industry with production companies, studios and organisations struggling to fill production roles. By working more collaboratively and jointly supporting initiatives we can offer a more cohesive picture of the industry and routes into the sector.
The day will comprise of keynote speakers, presentations and panel discussions which explore:
- Identifying the issue: How significant is the issue? What skills are missing? Changes and trends over the past few years.
- Models of success: How are studios, companies and organisations working towards closing the gap?
- Signposting: Who are the sign-posters and how do we effectively signpost young people to opportunities and jobs.
- Transferable skills: Time to throw out the credit list? How can companies capitalise on transferable skills and track records in other sectors?
- Freelancer life: How do we support and train a young freelance workforce to meet the needs of productions?
- Collaborative approaches: How can organisations work more collaboratively to address the issue?
The day is open to individuals and companies working across the film, games and television industry who support young people in their work place or through their delivery.
Arts Connect Film Network
Arts Connect works with a variety of partners including education, arts, culture and local government in the West Midlands to ensure that all children and young people can benefit from engagement in high quality arts and cultural activities. Arts Connect Film Network comprises of seven West Midlands based film organisations who lead on and support young people through the work that they do.
This event is part of Flatpack Festival’s Unpacked strand, discovering a whole new world of making and showing, as a range of filmmakers, programmers and industry experts peel back the curtain to share the secrets of their trade. Flatpack Festival will be popping up across Birmingham from 17-22 May 2022. See website for details.
Alternative booking methods are available for this event. Please contact us if you would prefer to book by phone 0121 446 3204 or email Gemma.
Should you have access needs, please complete our access form online after booking, and a member of our team will be in touch: (Alternatively, this form is available in Word format on request)
A full guide to access at the event can be found here.